AUT – ETD Enabling Works Projects
Client: Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
Location: Auckland CBD
Construction Start: May 2016
Construction Finish: April 2016
Duration: 11 months
Project Partners: Aspec Construction, T Build Ltd, Declan Ryan Architecture, Young + Richards Architects, EC Design, Jasmax, Beca, Rider Levett Bucknall, Hargrave
AUT’s new City Campus development, the Engineering, Technology and Design (ETD) Precinct brings together their Engineering and Computer Maths Science faculties into a state of the art learning facility. The ETD Precinct comprises a 4 level double height extension to an existing AUT building, a 12 level tower, and a 5 level podium.
In order to enable construction to start Hargrave Project management was engaged to carry out a comprehensive sequence of relocations and floor fit-outs to accommodate tenants and facilities from the buildings due for demolition.
Available space, limited time frames and a booming construction industry restricting available resource and commitments were major challenges which had to be overcome. Hargrave assisted AUT to locate suitable sites and areas for relocation. Hargrave met with users and key stakeholder to formulate briefs and scope the projects formulating a feasible project sequencing timeline which was then tracked and monitored through weekly / fortnightly consultation meetings. Hargrave also provided assistance in spatial planning providing quick and cost effective resolutions to stakeholder and user requirements. These projects are detailed as follows:
WO Building Works
– WO Level 1 – Full floor fit-out enabling relocation of AUT’s Facilities Workshop and Storage
– WO Level 2 – Partial floor fit-out enabling relocation of AUT’s postal services and emergency management centre
– WO Level 15 – Partial floor fit-out enabling relocation of AUT’s Events Management team and provision for Fletcher’s site offices
WS Building Works
– WS Building Safety Walls – A combination of temporary hoarding and acoustic walls were constructed over all 5 floors of WS building to provided added protection to occupants who would continue to operate in the building throughout the construction of ETD
– WS Growth lab – Relocation of a PC2 lab housing specialised equipment to a new temporary home within WS Building.
– WS Dangerous goods store – Relocation of AUTs dangerous goods stores into purpose built fire-rated rooms
– WS Chiller Upgrade – New building plant, pipework and central systems to upgrade out of date and inefficient equipment
WY Building Works
– WY Level 2 – Additional offices created enabling relocation of the AUT School of Economics
– WY Basement 2 – full floor fit–out converting a car park to a workshop and storage space enabling relocation of AUTs school of engineering facilities including welding, lathe and milling workshops.
WT Building Works
– WT Level 0 – Partial floor fit-out including purpose built bathrooms with Muslim wash facilities enabling the relocation of AUT’s Muslim community.
WM Building Works
– WM3 Dust Plant – Modified shipping containers used to re-house AUT’s woodworking dust plant, provide storage and provide delivery access.
WU Building Works
– WU Level 0 – Fit-out refurbishment and services upgrade to allow relocation of AUT’s Applied Science and Engineering postgraduates
WN Building Works
– WN Level 0 – Fit-out of temporary aquaculture wet labs to allow relocation of AUT’s Applied Sciences
AK Building Works
– AK Storage – Building refurbishment including reroofing, repainting, and an electrical and plumbing upgrade to enable relocation of AUT’s School of Applied Sciences’ freezer facilities and
WW Building Works
– Facilities Bin Storage – Construction of a small bin storage
WD Building Works
– Gas Bottle Storage – New purpose built storage cabinets to provide temporary storage of a range of gases for the duration of ETD construction